Sunday, September 19, 2010

Looking Up...


So I've been feeling a little stuck in terms of what to do when it comes to my studio classes. I guess you could call it a funk, or mind block, or whatever. I don't think my problem is lack of inspiration... more like over stimulation. Everything is just so breathtaking or amazing in its own right that I feel like I have too many ideas and concepts forming in my head that when it comes to putting them down on paper, it just gets lost in translation.
That being said... my drawing assignment for this week is to do a large scale drawing. Totally open. Only criteria is the size... Which normally I would love, except for the fact that I had no idea where to even begin. Enter my wonderful friend Natalie. Who told me to challenge myself... that's why I'm here in Italy anyways. So what's more challenging than people. Particularly portraits.
So here is my work in progress shots thus far...
I'll upload the others and the final product when I finish!
#1
#2
#3
#4
#5
#6
-I'm going to rework the face and try and bring out more tones/greyscale in her features.
I'm also going to duplicate her silhouette and faintly wipe it out.
Edit: This is the finished piece as of right now...
Some of my classmates conviced me to leave it as it is until after the crit.
What do you think?
Any suggestions?!!

1 comment:

  1. jim! i love it so much!! it looks beautiful..and youre friend natalie is beautiful too!
    ps. LOVE the picture of the rainy city. so much.

    I MISS YOU SO MUCH
    loveyou

    ReplyDelete